Friday 26 October 2018

MISSING YOU

MISSING YOU


real cooked meals

made by your mum

nothing fancy

but they filled your tum


milk man coming down

the street

twice on Saturday

to make sure

he got paid


when Cornwall

was ten hours away

stuck behind a tractor

on a summers day


top of the pops

tomorrows world

grandstand

dr who


streets all looked the same

housewife rushing out

to save the washing

from the rain


Dixon of dock green

z cars

the Sweeney

when the police

knew how to handle

crime



a bag of sweet

at the end of the school day

10 pence

and we were rich


benny hill

morecambe and wise

kenny everet

the two Ronnie's

when british comedy

was funny


when you know

good from bad

left from right

when I was more

left than right


when everybody spoke English

if he wasn't your god

you were welcome

to stand outside

I tried it once

it didn't work out well

the teacher gave me hell


cold winter mornings

out on the playing fields

fog so thick

you couldn't see

the other side


when twitter feed

was only used

by strange men

watching birds


when class rooms

had black boards

and teachers

armed with rubbers

who could hit you

at 50 yards


the gas man came

in the summer

to give you

a rebate

spent moments latter

on sausage rolls and cakes


when TV inspired you

showing you stuff

you could do

no health and safety

no pc bull

no other brands available


when music was cool

and nobody sang

the same old stuff

record sales meant something

not just likes on a screen


walking down the street

saying hello

not just starring

at your feet


I miss you

my old friend

battered and bruised

you stagger on

like an old boxer

in his last fight

you know the out come

but still we

watch on


I miss you

my England

my friend

my old chum


all gone

and a long long time ago

please forgive me

for it was not me

who wanted you

to go


words by PETER STOCK HAMMERSMITH78MUSICPROMOTIONS COPY RIGHT 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment